Home page > Topics > 19 cent.
The Victory Column

The Victory Column

The Victory Column was erected in Riga in commemoration of the victory of the Russian Army over Napoleon. The  Column was erected in 1817 on Castle Square in Riga. It was designed in St Petersburg, presumably by architect Giacomo Quarenghi. In 1915 at the beginning of the First Word War the metallic part of the column was evacuated to Russia. The stone part of the memorial was dismantled in 1938. Owing to the contemporary unfavourable political situation, recent efforts to restore this architectural monument have not met with success.

K. T. Fechhelm. Opening ceremony of the Victory Column. 1818.

Наталья Севидова. Забытое сокровище

Илья Дименштейн. Памятник номер 6696

Related illustrations