Home page > Topics > 19 cent.
The Dinaburg Fortress

The Dinaburg Fortress

The Dinaburg Fortress – the only fortress in the Baltic states dating back to the early 19th Century. Construction of the fortress was started in 1810 at the behest of Minister of War Barclay-de-Tolly. In 1812 the fortress made a worthy opponent to the Napoleonic forces. In 1813 construction of the fortress was resumed but it was not used in any further military action.

See: Прибалтийские русские: история в памятниках культуры (1710-2010). - Рига, 2010.

Related illustrations