The Church in the Name of the Icon of ‘Intercession of Blessed  Virgin Mary’ photo

The Church in the Name of the Icon of ‘Intercession of Blessed Virgin Mary’ photo

On 22 April 1845 Priest Yakov Mikhaylov (Melnikov) former steward to Count Sheremetev conducted an Orthodox Church service in the Latvian language for the first time. In 1858 a Latvian parish affiliated to the church was founded. After a fire in 1875 a new stone church was built designed by architect R. Pflug. It was consecrated on 9 September 1879.

Modern day view of the church.

Церковь Покрова Пресвятой Богородицы. - В сб. Покровское кладбище. Слава и забвение. - Рига, 2004

Яков Михайлов (1803 - 1860). -  Покровское кладбище. Слава и забвение. - Рига, 2004

Related illustrations