The Nativity of Christ Cathedral in Riga

The Nativity of Christ Cathedral in Riga

The Nativity of Christ Cathedral in Riga is the main church of Orthodox Latvia, the cathedral of the archbishops of Riga.  The most sacred objects are kept here, the most solemn church services are held here, the most important events of the Church life take place under its magnificent vaults.

The cathedral was built to a design by architect R. Pflug. Emperor Alexander III sent 12 bells as a gift to the cathedral. All bells were cast by Ksenofont Verevkin at the N. Finlandsky Works in Moscow. The artistic work and painting was carried out by famous specialists in the 19th century – by president of the St Petersburg Academy of Arts P.Shamshin, academics K. Venig and V. Vereshchagin, professor Vasilyev, artists F. Zhuravlyov and A. Korzukhin.  The unusually beautiful cathedral was consecrated on 28 October 1884.

The Nativity of Christ Cathedral. Beginning of the 1900’s.

Related illustrations